FOR THE BEST AND LATEST MUSIC VIDEOS, HIP HOP, R&B, SPORTS, AND WORLD NEWS...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

XXL’s Freshman List


XXL Magazine’s Freshman Class of 2012 list hasn’t even been out more than a few hours and already there is some beef brewing over who was chosen for it. This year’s cover, which annually features 10 rising hip-hop artists that XXL co-signs for the year, includes the likes of Machine Gun Kelly, Roscoe Dash, French Montana and Danny Brown, who are all male. But for the first time in the five years XXL has been running the list, a female rapper [Iggy Azalea] is featured. [Sidebar: Nicki Minaj along with Drake skipped out on the cover in 2010 because they felt their buzz was too massive.]
Unfortunately, Iggy’s appearance on the list ruffled up the feathers of another up and coming rapper, Azaelia Banks, who took to her Twitter account to pop off about her thoughts on the cover. According to Azealia, Iggy disrespected black people in the second line from her song called “D.R.U.G.S.,” and for that reason alone she shouldn’t be honored by a urban hip-hop mag as one of the next great rappers.
She tweeted:
“Iggy Azalea on the XXL freshman list is all wrong. How can you endorse a a white woman who called herself a “Runaway slave master”? Whatever.  Sorry guys. But I’m pro black girl. I’m not anti white girl, but I’m also not here for any1 outside of my culture trying to trivialize very serious aspects of it. In any capacity. *kanye shrug* If u hate my music now because of how I feel about this then I guess it’s my loss. I’ll take that loss.”
Azealia was referencing Iggy’s “D.R.U.G.S” track where she starts off the verse “When the relay starts, I’m A Runaway Slave–master,” which is a bit awkward (depending on how you decipher the lyrics). However, Azealia Banks’ rant about Iggy comes off a bit bitter, especially for a newbie in the game [She's already taken jabs at other female rappers like Nicki Minaj and Kreayshawn].
Iggy responded:
Don’t bother including my @ name in any of ur salty thoughts either cause… I’m #blockinthatass today!!!!
First female freshman. Ever. Period. Thanks world! I used to stick XXL on my bedroom door, now I’m on the cover. Life is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment